Monday, March 8, 2010

Idee Nate e Idee Progredito

First, a few new project ideas, followed by some exciting (and shiny) progress on the current project. I thought about making this two posts, but then the photos were already loaded...

This is my first idea for my colab. project in Electronics in Sculpture. I thought I'd sent it to my partner Sunday, but turns out I sent it to a stranger instead due to a failure of memory regarding email addresses. Anyway, this is a jellyfish chandelier.

Trying to modify my crazy/awesome designs from my current project into an everyday pair of glasses. Yes, this is everyday for me. The lens shape is from my old pair of glasses, so if I ever build them (here's hoping I get into that Penland class, eh?) I'll be able to wear them like a badass.

NEXT IDEA! This is my preliminary sketch for my second eyewear piece. It's moon/space themed, and will also be entered into NASA's art competition which is titled "Life on the Moon". As you hopefully can see, there are more LEDs involved. I'll also be using this sweet solar filter film I got from the ebays. IT blocks 99.9% of the sun's radiation. I think that's pretty sweet. As a final note: check out the sweet tension hold these babies will have instead of lame ear stems or straps. Rock.

And now to the progress! Last night I boiled the anodising in, coated the inside rims with resin to insulate them, and super glued down some rolled silver wire for traces. Today I used my fancy (and expensive) new conductive epoxy to adhere the wee LEDs to the traces. It took a while to get all the connexions good, and actually one needs to be reglued tomorrow, but overall I'm really excited!

See how the one on the left is a bit dimmer? That's why the connexion needs to be redone. As a side note, the IC on one of the boards blew in transit and had to be replaced. That sucker was probably the worst thing to solder/desolder on the entire board. It was ridiculous!

Yeaaahhhhh!!!!! I had to call others into the room for this. I don't know what it is about LEDs that makes them the coolest ever, but they are.

Now to do all the metalwork to house these bits...

No comments:

Post a Comment