Thursday, February 11, 2010

Bioluminescenza e il Mare Cupo

First, a little tension-release exercise in the form of an ink-tastic whale.


Second, the research and sketchesfor my next project.
I've decided to do eyewear for my body of work in portfolio class. My first piece is inspired by the wonderful ridgy bits from my teapot (see previous post) which I happened upon by accident and REALLY adore, and also on the fishes and other creatures which live in the depths of the ocean.


I've always been really fascinated with bio-luminescence and how beautiful some of the creatures of the deep sea are.


This project is directly inspired by angler fishes, as I'm planning to have a drop of light hanging down from the bridge.


This guy has nothing to do with my project, however I think it's one of the most beautiful things I've seen in a very long time.



This is the initial sketch for the project, which is still the most explanatory of the final object. I really like the line-work that I got on the dangly light bit especially. The sketch below has a line of thinking on how to form the top of the light drop. The bottom part I plan to sculpt out of wax or clay, or I might even turn it on the lathe to get it perfect, and then I'll spray it with mold release and coat it in resin. Hopefully the end result will be a clear plastic drop bit for the end.
I'm really excited about the stems! I have for a long while thought that art nouveau line work looks strikingly scifi, but have never been able to incorporate it into my scifi pieces until now! The stems are intentionally too long, so they'll be formed out and in from the face instead of just straight back, to make them more organic. I might reticulate the metal as well, but I'm not sure. The casings for the lenses (also cupping the eye, see center of image) will be formed out with the ridgy bits as stated previously. I plan to flow solder over the tops of the ridges, intensionally haphazardly, so they'll have silver highlights, and then I'm going to give them a nice crusty green pack patina to so it'll look like lichen growing on ridgy silver metal. Then I'll clear powder-coat the whole thing to keep it sealed. As illustrated bottom left, I'll be turning some rings with a ledge inside to fit inside the casings; these will hold in the lenses, and also house a ring of surface-mount LEDs which will be hidden from the eyes and from the viewer, and cause the lenses (hopefully) to glow like luminescent eyes. The insides of the casing will be matte black, which will obscure the eyes.

I think that's all I have to say for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment