Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Si Sente Come Età, Invece di Quattro Giorni

This weekend was so long I feel the week's already happened. All last week I worked like crazy trying to get all the paperwork together for my application for a scholarship to Penland. Got everything fedexed at 3AM Saturday. Today, I set up my work in the scholarship competition on campus. I don't know when they'll announce who won money, but I'm nervous. There is a LOT of good work in it this year....
Last year I had something like 12 pieces in my space, so having just 3 is unnerving, but this year they want cohesive work, whereas before it was good to be prolific. Still, I'm nervous.
Attempted to etch the inscription in the ring I've been commissioned to make. It didn't work. I'm not really sure why, but ultimately what's pictured is not what I tried to etch, so I'm okay with it. It would have looked really bad.
My light worked!!!! I had a hell of a time getting the resin back off the aluminum blank, but I think the wonkiness is going to fit in really well with the lichen patina I have in store for the metalwork.
And lastly I have soldered on the tubes for the garnet settings on my thumb rings. Then I remembered that I absolutely SUCK at setting stones. The two pictured are the only ones out of 6 I managed to "set" tonight.
This thing is ridiculously terrible. I've never set a straight stone in my life, but I've never mauled a setting quite like this before either. As a side note, you may be able to tell that the band gets thinner behind the stone- that's because I melted the whole band right there and had to hammer it back out. I'm actually pretty proud that I fixed it with a hammer. Hopefully tomorrow I can get some help from others on setting those damned garnets...

No comments:

Post a Comment