Thursday, February 4, 2010

La Scuola è Iniziata

Spring semester has started up again! I'm taking more studio classes than usual, so I'm cautiously optimistic that I will build many great things.

I have been reunited with my beloved and currently clean studio space in the BFA cubby-hole. I really enjoy having a wall to tape photos and ideas on. And lets face it, it's nice to lean.
Right off we were given 2 weeks in Portfolio to design and build a teapot to enter into a show in St. Lois. Mine shall be built all of nickel, possibly tinned inside to make it usable. The finished piece will be about 4 inches tall, maybe 5. I'm using an hydraulic press to get the form for the body. Unfortunately, it seems the metal has decided it's done taking volume, and it's only half as thick as I wish it would be. I might do some repoussé on the body to give it more volume, but I doubt I have the time. Deadline is next Wednesday!
This is the sketch for the tea pot. It looks to me like a combination of a spacecraft, beetle, and sundial.
Process photo! My die is (obviously) wood, so the press is pretty much destroying it. not looking forward to soldering my wonky sides together...
Lastly, this is a ring I'm building on commission for what sounds like a very interesting lady. She asked for a ring I'd already done before as a promise ring, but this is for herself. It's got the symbol for the Flash, and inside she asked to have engraved "Only a life lived for others" which is part of a longer quote from Einstein. I'm really glad that so far all of the strangers who are drawn to my work are really cool and interesting people. It makes me feel really good about the work I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment