Sunday, June 13, 2010

Una Storia Improbabile

As I may have mentioned before (checking to see if I have being obviously too difficult) my old and generally not good sewing machine stopped functioning near the end of the spring semester- just when I'd started a project involving lots of sewing on leather.  
This month I had started searching for a new one -even had a budget for one- and then my plane tickets to Penland cost double what I was expecting- so much for getting a sewing machine!  Or so I thought.
Last night as I was walking home from the bars I happened upon this cast iron (~40+ lbs) beauty on the side of the road and lugged it the 3.5 blocks back home.


To my great delight it seems only to be missing loose parts- foot pedal, bobbing case, needles, and the like.  All the working bits and turney-knobs seem to be working just fine!  After a morning's search of the interwebs I've discovered this is a 1966 Kenmore industrial machine- designed to sew through heavy things like canvas sails, leather, and jeans.  Hurrah!

I've already begun to order its missing bits from Ebay, so hopefully I'll have it running by August.

No comments:

Post a Comment